- This event has passed.
Impress the Press: Learn to work with the media
Impress the Press: Learn to work with the media (1/2 day)
Friday, November 16 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
Room 045, Lower Level – BU Health Studies Complex
Facilitated by Dooley Communications (Winnipeg)
The media are a valuable way for you to tell the world about your research and your work. And media also look to the university as home to important experts who can answer questions and put into context things that are happening in our community. However, because media operate with different assumptions, different goals and different deadlines than academics, it can be challenging to communicate effectively through and with the media.
We can help you get the word out! This 1/2 day workshop provides insight into common media and communication questions including:
- How do I interest the media in my work/research/project?
- What is newsworthy and why?
- Finding the right media to approach
- Anticipating and preparing for media needs
- “Translating” to plain language
- How do I respond to a media inquiry, even if it isn’t really my specialization?
- The “I don’t know about that” myth
- Understanding what media are looking for
- Opportunities to broaden the context
- When to say no and why to say yes
- I’m talking to media right now! What do I do and what do I say?
- Preparation and key messages
- Look and background for photo/video/audio
- When to talk and when to email
- The benefits of followup
Who should attend? This workshop will be of interest to faculty and staff who would like to better promote themselves or their work in a more effective way, and who would like to be more comfortable speaking with and to the media.
To reserve your space for this workshop, under the RSVP heading below, enter 1. You will be prompted to enter your name and email address. Click submit. An automated confirmation will be sent to your inbox.
Brandon University is committed to being an accessible institution. To ensure that any event is available to all who are interested in attending, please advise us in advance of any accessibility considerations. Accessibility contact: firstname.lastname@example.org